Thursday, March 15, 2007

The power and beauty of T and F

Today I've been working on some statistical analyses for very top secret stuff. I can't say much, but I can say that I have experimentally observed the T and F distributions (shown below). And I've amazed myself by being able to apply these esoteric statistical relics to a real-world problem.

 

And so I've come to appreciate their power and beauty. You too can discover the power and beauty of T and F in such situations as the t Test and the f Test. I'm not sure what the deal is with Wikipedia's entry on the f Test, but I like the description from NIST or my stats textbook ("Engineering Statistics" by Mongomery, Runger, Hubele from Wiley press) a lot better.

By the way, copying all those T and F critical value tables into code kind of sucks.

No comments: