Friday, February 9, 2007

This American Life, live!

This American Life is on tour again! I got Nick and myself tickets this morning to the Seattle show (March 7) by calling Ticketmaster several minutes before they went on sale and then making the lady put me on hold until she could start selling the tickets (I know, I have a problem). But I got us really awesome seats, front and center. We saw TAL live in Ithaca a couple years ago and it was great.

Some guys at work asked me about the live show and said they like TAL, but didn't want to go see the show because they didn't want to have a face to put to Ira Glass' voice—that it would break the magic. I definitely know what they mean; seeing Neal Conan in Wordplay was a shock (best quote from that movie, BTW: "Bring it, Shortz!!"). And don't ever image search Peter Sagal (host of Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me), you'll be sorely disappointed. But I think Ira Glass lives up to his voice pretty well. As a hopeless TAL addict, I'd much rather get to see a live show than savour the suspense of Ira's faceless voice... especially since that would mean I couldn't watch the TV show when it comes out!

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

I'm SO jealous!! Although, I have seen Prairie Home Companion in person, but it was at an outdoor theater and it was over 100 degrees, so I guess it wasn't that great....